Hyderabad, 25th August 2021: CARE Hospitals, Banjara Hills, one of the leading multi-speciality hospitals in the state, launched an exclusive BIMA bypass surgery clinic in the august presence of Honourable Minister of Home, Mr. Mahmood Ali. With an endeavour to provide high-quality treatment and patient-centric cardiac care, CARE Hospitals, Banjara Hills added yet another feather to its cap by establishing an in-house dedicated clinic for all patients, who need bypass surgery.
Coronary bypass surgery has usually been the solution to a blocked artery. The procedure involves taking a healthy blood vessel from the leg or arm to replace the blocked vessel and restore the blood flow. The lesser-known fact is that a blood vessel can also be taken from the chest, the Bilateral Internal Mammary Artery (BIMA) which is spare arteries inside the chest. They could be ideal substitutes for heart’s bypass surgery as it has shown to provide the long-term benefits, as per the medical studies done in leading hospitals around the globe.
Commenting on the launch, Dr. Prateek Bhatnagar, Director for Cardiothoracic Surgery, CARE Hospitals, Banjara Hills, and a renowned BIMA Bypass Surgeon practicing for the last 25 years said, “A large study done in Cleveland Clinic in the USA has shown that BIMA, when used in bypass surgery, has proven to be working in 90% of patients even after 20 years. Usually in most of the cases, these arteries are resistant to the aging process of atherosclerosis, appear to work for a longer time and are also cosmeticallysatisfactory”
Advantages of BIMA (Bilateral Internal Mammary Arteries) –
1. Best long term results.
2. No cuts on legs or hands.
3. Minimum trauma due to minimum cuts.
4. BIMA quality is almost always perfect.
5. Minimum risk of brain stroke when used with beating heart surgery.
6. Size of BIMA is almost same as coronary arteries. Hence sits perfectly after bypass surgery.
7. BIMA is resistant to aging process of atherosclerosis.
8. Both young and old patients can be operated by BIMA surgery.
9. Advantage of beating heart surgery can be added to BIMA surgery.
10. Large number of patients have already availed the benefits of BIMA bypass surgery.
Elaborating further, Dr. Rahul Medakkar, Hospital Chief Operating Officer at CARE Hospitals, Banjara Hills, said, “Our BIMA Bypass Surgery Clinic aims to empower people with the knowledge of the best possible option in bypass surgery to make an informed choice.”